We’re all so scared of hearing the dreaded words “you’re fired” which can be for varied reasons ranging from fraud to non-performance on the job. Sometimes, it could be our fault because we have not done the following:
- If you don’t have a personal life plan and adhere to it irrespective of what’s happening in your workplace, you may have yourself to blame. Successful people have a clear life plan. Without a life plan, we’re inevitable leaving our success in the hands of others who may or may not have the time to look after our successes.
- If someone is capable of producing a greater return and you’re not updating your current set of skills, you’re at risk of being replaced.
- We’re all familiar with performance reviews and the consequence of performing below expected job standards. Sooner than you know, you’ll be shown the way out.
- If all you do at the office is sit behind your desk and respond to all the mails pouring in via e-mail, you’ve got another think coming. Communicating in person is imperative for today’s success seekers.
- Unless you’re Beyonce, don’t give the impression that you’re irreplaceable. As soon as you convince yourself that you can do it all and know it all, your diva will start to fall.
- Don’t assume you know all the answers. Successful people are always on the drive to learn new ideas and approaches in order to be more relevant in their careers.
- Learn to give credit when you need to. Never make the mistake of taking all the credit to the detriment of your colleagues.
- Promote and sell your ideas constantly through case studies, initiatives that you’ve implemented successfully.
- When you’re at a roadblock and can’t seem to get your creative juices flowing, don’t be afraid to seek the advice of a trusted and respected colleague or friend.