The West African Health Organisation (WAHO), the Health Agency of ECOWAS, and its Partners announce its Young Professional Internship Programme for 2010 – 2011, which will commence in March 2010, and hereby invite applications from citizens of member countires of ECOWAS.
Goal: The goal of the programme is to equip young professionals with knowledge, skills and experience for effective management of health problems in West Africa.
Structure: The 12month programme is divided into 6 Stages. Stages 1 and 4 will take place at the headquarters of WAHO in Burkina Faso, during which the Interns will acquire knowledge and competence in basic principles of public health, a second official language of ECOWAS, computer and new information technology as well as basic principles of management and leadership. During stages 2 and 5, the interns would be posted to host institutions in different countries in West Africa to acquire practical skills and competencies in their technical areas of interest or professional specialisation. The technical areas should respond to the health needs of the sub-region and the priority domains of WAHO.
Priority Domains for 2010 – 2011:
The applicants for the internship should have interest in one or more of the following priority technical areas:
2. REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH
3. CHILD SURVIVAL
5. PREVENTION OF BLINDNESS
The Interns would be provided with accomodation and would receive a monthly allowance during the period. All travel costs related to the Internship would be paid for and learning materials would be provided free.
All applicants must be citizens of ECOWAS member countries, must be available throughout the 12month period and should have:
1. obtained a university degree or equivalent within the past five years.
2. fluency in reading and writing of at least one official ECOWAS language (English, French, Portugese)
3. basic competence in Information and Communication Technologies
Interested candidates should send the following documents:
1. Letter of application to participate in the programme.
2. Up to date curriculum vitae.
3. Photocopy of the relevant pages of the National passport, National Identity Card or birth certificate.
4. Photocopies of Diplomas and Certificates.
5. Letter of motivation stating reasons for the chocie, relevant experiences and future career plans.
6. In addition, each candidate should send three letters of reference. Two of the referees must be persons who taught the applicant in the University or appropriate institution. For a candidate with work of experience, the third should be a professional with whom the candidate has worked. The letters of reference should be sent directly to the address below by the referees. All applications and letters of reference should be sent by post or e-mail to:
West African Health Organisation (WAHO/OOAS)
Young Professional Internship Programme
01 BP 153 Bobo-Dioulasso 01
Closing date: All applications must be received by the close of work on 15th November 2009.