If you’re on a long stretch and currently wigging as a form of protective style, then you need to know how to care for and maintain your wigs. To achieve a natural appearance and unique colour variations, all human hair wigs are chemically processed. To give your wig the longest shelf life, it is very important to use sulfate-free hair care products that are specifically made for chemically processed hair. To wash your wig, follow these steps:
1. Detangle the wig using a wig brush. Start at the ends and work upwards to the base of the cap.
2. Rinse the wig in cold water, with the water flowing in the same direction of the hair to avoid tangling. Do not soak your wig in a basin. This will cause the hair to tangle and mat together.
3. Using your fingertips and sulfate free shampoo, distribute the shampoo evenly throughout the hair.
4. Rinse with cold water to remove shampoo. Rinse so that the water is flowing in the same direction as the hair.
5. Remove excess water by gently patting with a cotton towel. Do not wring or squeeze.
6. Condition the wig with a quality conditioner, using your fingertips to distribute the conditioner evenly throughout the hair.
7. Remove the conditioner by rinsing with cold water. To remove excess water, pat gently with a soft towel. Do not squeeze or wring. Allow the wig to air dry on a tall can of hairspray (if you don’t have a wig stand).
Caring for Synthetic Wigs:
1. Gently brush the wig thoroughly with a brush.
2. Add one tablespoon of shampoo to a sink filled with cold water.
3. Immerse wig for one minute and agitate gently. Do not rub.
4. Rinse the wig gently in cold clear water twice until thoroughly rinsed.
5. Blot the wig gently with a towel. Do not squeeze or wring.
6. Apply conditioning spray very lightly over wig, spraying 10-12inches from the wig.
7. Allow the wig to air dry on a slender object like a can of hairspray or a shampoo bottle covered with a hand towel.
8. Do not use a hair dryer. Air dry only. You may gently style the wig with your fingertips.
9. Brush wig only when completely dry. Do not allow the wig to dry in direct sunlight.