Today’s Naira is the foremost financial blog for the enterprising Nigerian young woman who desires financial freedom: women who seek better ways and means to secure their financial future. In our bid to combine multiple roles as a mother, aunt, career professional, lover, wife, sister in law and so on, we often neglect our finances for all these activities.
Research has continually indicated that women have a longer life expectancy than men. Our men are often too busy to be bothered about letting us in into their financial lives. While medical sciences has posited that we may outlive our men, the responsibility lies on us to take responsibility for our financial future, for the peace of our minds and that of our kids. This is my own way of encouraging women to become positive financial change agents in their homes.
This blog is not all about financial empowerment. I also discuss political, sociocultural issues relating to career, personal and professional development. I believe that it is time we took our own destiny as Nigerians into our own hands. Furthermore, I have also incorporated my hair journey as well to educate African ladies that we can grow our own hair to any length we desire simply by paying more attention to the products and methods we use. This we can do by becoming more politically conscious and standing up to see things are done correctly. It is time to stop the “MEDIOCRE” mentality pervading every facet of our lives. We also need to regain our moral values. This blog offers me the platform to discuss these topical issues.
Who are you?
My name is Jan (as re-christened by my friend Nan) and in July, I decided to set up a blog to teach financial wisdom to young women facing challenges in their personal lives. I hope to impart to as many people who are struggling with their finances.
Will you Retire permanently once you achieve your goal?
I don’t view retirement as just sitting at home and surveying the wonderful view from my living room. I intend to be actively engaged in other interests. So, no permanent retirement for me.
What do you intend to do with all these money?
- International Travel (I have commenced…).
- Charity (Commenced volunteering work, you should try it too).
- Photography School.
- Start my own business now (I have commenced even though i’m still in paid employment).
How do I secure my financial future?
- Have a well laid out life goal.
- Identify some of the things you’re interested in and would like to pursue once you leave or while in paid employment.
- Consistent savings (if you’re single, I always advise that you set aside at least 50% of your annual income) the reason I state this is, once you’re married and the kids start rolling in (depending on the number you and your spouse intend to have), your goal may drop to 20 -35% of your annual income. Imagine if you had saved 40% of your income for at least three or four years before getting married, the power of compounding interest will be of an advantage.
- Once you’ve saved a substantial amount, start investing your money.
- Take more than a cursory interest in your pension contributions. Ask your PFAs questions and keep them on their toes by demanding for quarterly statements on your account. Also shop around to see what other PFAs are doing.
Do you provide other services?
We also provide social media services for interested organizations. As your social media strategist, we would be the face of your organization within your respective end markets, creating and maintaining an effective social media strategy by interacting with users, growing brand awareness, creating buzz and increasing traffic. Most organizations need the services of a social media strategist to find the best way of sustaining consumer dialogue and brand awareness. We are also responsible for company blogging, viral marketing through available social media platforms. Thinking of setting up a social media campaign for your brands and services?
Please send a mail to: email@example.com
Do you allow promotion of products and services on your blog?
Oh! yes we do. Our target is to have a vibrant community of readers that are always on the lookout for better ways to live. If you are thinking of projecting your company’s image and showcasing your brands, services, events or blogs, then you should consider advertising here.
Conducting a product or service review affords me the opportunity to give an unbiased review and feedbacks to prospective consumers and the parent organization. Already considering brand and service promotions on this blog?Please send a mail: firstname.lastname@example.org