I’ve got an ongoing nasty habit. On days I wear my hair out, I often have my hand in my hair searching for a split end or single strand knots. Often times, I might not have access to my scissors and end up popping these offending hair shiznits (as I like to call them). The other habit is twirling my hair around my fingers once I’m behind the wheels driving. It’s a bad habit I know, but it’s become a daily ritual and I’m trying to wean myself off the wide path that leads to hair destruction.
To kick this habit to the curb, I’m indulging in some protective styles I came across on Pinterest. I still intend to wear my hair out but by the 2nd half of the day, it’ll end up in a messy bun held up by bobby pins.
To other matters, I’d like to give a special shoutout to a reader on this blog who has gone ahead to establish an online food delivery service within the heart of Calabar. If you’re on vacation or reside and work within this serene city, then it’s time to get your food groove on by placing an order with ‘Dineoutng‘. They’ve got a range of indigenous and international cuisine available.
They also cater for corporate organizations, weddings, bridal showers, baby showers and a whole lot more.
One of the most frequent questions I receive from readers is ‘how do I know if my hair regimen is working’. That’s easy peasy. We have identified the following things to lookout for a successful hair journey.
1. Breakage: this is the bane of African hair. Due to the dry nature of our hair, it’s often prone to breakage if you’re not abiding by the principles of weekly deep conditioning sessions using heat. Once you get the hang of deep conditioning with a protein or moisturizing deep conditioner, you’ll observe minimal breakage.
2. Thicker hair: we’re all familiar with over processed hair caused by relaxer run-off. This leads to thinning, brittle hair over time. Relaxer run-off occur during the retouch session if you do not take care to coat your previously relaxed hair with Jamaican Black Castor Oil & Vaseline.
Coating your relaxed hair with these two items acts as a barrier against the damaging effects of relaxer when your stylist is rinsing out the relaxer from your hair. If you absolutely hate the brownish, dull hue you see on previously relaxed hair, then it’s time to get rid of this by coating your hair whenever you go for relaxer touch up.
3. Thicker ends: yes it’s hard to let go of length when you’re gunning for a whole lot more. However, the best thing you can do for your hair at the start of your journey is to critically asses your ends. You want to get rid of split ends, mid shaft splits, thin, straggly ends and single strand knots. Get a pair of brand new scissors. Divide your hair into small sections and trim away. If you do this at the start of your journey, you’ll be able to observe changes to your hair in the long run.
4. Healthy, Stronger hair: if you’re consistent with making these changes to your hair, 2-3months down the line, you’ll observe a change in hair texture. Gone are the days of dry, crinkly hair. Welcome to your best hair days.
Q: Can I leave protein deep conditioner on my hair overnight?
A: It depends on your deep conditioning preferences. Some ladies prefer deep conditioning overnight while others opt for an hour. Research indicates that within 30minutes, your hair cuticles will be raised to absorb the amount of protein adequate for your hair needs. 30 minutes – an hour is adequate enough for your hair. If you want better penetration, try and lay your hands on this heat cap which takes your deep conditioning sessions to another level.
Always remember to follow up with a moisturizing deep conditioner afterwards. For instance, you can prepoo with a protein deep conditioner for an hour; shampoo your hair in sections then proceed to use a moisturizing deep conditioner.
Q: Does rinsing a scalp affected by Alopecia with Lipton promote hair growth?
A: If you’ve got Alopecia, tea rinsing is not the way to go. What you’ll require is a bottle of JBCO, Rosemary essential oil, Lavender essential oil & Peppermint essential oil. You’ll need to mix these 4 ingredients together in measured doses. Store this oil mix for a week before commencing usage.
Have a splendid week ahead!!!
I was introduced to this brand of Biotin Chewable during my hair assessment with Stevie. She advised me to get it as it’ll aid my new hair regimen. I was a bit skeptical cos I’ve always been lazy when it comes to popping pills but she’d assured me this will be different since I’ll only be required to take one pill daily. Furthermore, it was available in a sweet strawberry flavor and easily dissolves without drinking water.
She told me to get the 5,000mcg and 10,000mcg jars. She’d advised I start off with the 5,000mcg and if I love the results, then I should switch to the 10,000mcg jar provided I’d exhausted the first jar. Off to the store she recommended and I got both jars.
I commenced usage by mid-November with the jar of 5,000mcg and dutifully popped one pill at night before going to bed. True to her words, it was like popping Vitamin C and it made it easier. When I shared my concern about possible breakouts and stuffs, Stevie had laughed away and stated there won’t be such episodes.
* Easy to swallow as it dissolves easily.
* I was going to the toilet 2ce daily for No. 2 which I never missed since I commenced usage.
* By November ending, I observed my clothes were loose and I needed to take in my jeans.
* My nails grew like crazy.
* My skin has remained clear and there have been no breakout incidents.
* For the very first time, my eyelashes were popping as I noticed more growth in that area.
I compared notes with my younger sister who commenced usage at the same time and noticed that she’d lost 10kg within 2weeks of usage. During my monthly Skype chats with Stevie, I had casually mentioned that I was losing weight and she affirmed that this brand of biotin actually processes your food intake which increases your metabolism leading to weight loss. She further asked if I’ve been going to the toilet frequently and my answer was a big fat ‘YES’.
You might be wondering what happened to my hair with all these wonderful results. Yes, I got growth and it’s the kind of growth I usually get within a 6month stretch cos I got an inch each month as can be seen from the picture below:
These are some of the pictures I saw online and it cuts across racial divides but the reviews are largely positive. So I’m onto a good thing and will be ending my 16week stretch by next week.
I’ve been quite diligent with my new regimen and the results are paying off.
There are several reasons for starting out a hair journey and the culprits have ranged from thinning, breakage, alopecia, stagnation in hair growth, split ends, mid shaft splits or breakage, single strand knots and the list is endless. What spurred me on a healthy hair journey was thicker hair and overtime, that goal hasn’t changed. Sure there are other benefits such as length retention and the longer hair lengths, but the underlying goal has always been thicker hair.
As the months rolled in, thicker hair has been achieved relative to the fine, thin strands I commenced with. Often times, I have wished for thicker, voluminous hair like I see online but I have come to realize it’s a gradual journey. The most important thing is to stick with a regimen that works for your hair type or strands.
The most important thing you can do for your hair in 2015 is to embrace change and see which directions it takes your hair. Remember keep it simple always.
To other news, new stocks of Manetabolism Vitamins have arrived and you can place your orders directly by clicking the link here.
We’ve also got pure Moroccan Argan Oil available as well.
Image Source: Laurenmechelle.com / Pinterest
Happy New Year and it’s great to be back on this platform after a long break. During the Christmas and new year break, I took out time to assess the health of my hair and also decide on the hair goals I want to achieve this year. By the way, I love this cold, dry weather and I’ve been keeping my hair protected by investing in some quality silk head scarves I can wear when going out. Of late, I’ve been wearing my hair out a lot since I commenced on this new regimen.
Basically, my hair goals for 2015 are:
* Maintain and sustain my new hair regimen.
* Keep up with a daily dosage of Biotin chewable vitamin (gotta say the growth has been amazing and it also keeps the weight off).
* 100 strokes three times weekly with my paddle brush.
* Touch up every 16 weeks.
* Eyelash trimming every 4 weeks.
* Blowdry on cool once weekly with my KISS Hand-less Dryer.
* Keep up with monthly scalp scrubs.
In terms of length, my full year goal is to achieve bra-strap length. I intend to keep things simple and easy going forward based on the results I’ve been seeing.
I wish you all an amazing year ahead.
You’ve been on a healthy journey for a year, two years and just can’t understand what the shampoo fuss is all about. At HairSage, we’ve received emails from clients who’ve complained about the shampoo variants they’re using. From single strand knots to tangled matted hair, there’s a blame game going on.
In this regard, we’re partnering with Nexxus Shampoo to host this giveaway. Each winner of this giveaway stands a chance to win a sample pack of shampoo. Quantities are limited in number as the sample boxes sent in by the manufacturers, was stolen at the Cargo Terminal during the recent strike.
1. Send us your worst shampoo story. What you didn’t like about the shampoo and its subsequent effects on your hair. What shampoo tips has aided you as you grow out your hair?
Kindly attach pictures of your current length and your current shampoo to: email@example.com. You’ll receive a confirmatory message.
2. Share your shampoo story on our facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/hairsage.com & on our instagram page @hairsage22.
3. Entries are open till 31st of December, 2014.
4. Winners will be determined randomly.
Send in your entries NOW!
Over the weekend, I had the pleasure of attending to my niece’s hair. Both of them had been hounding me to wash and deep condition since my sister had been too busy. I commenced with the younger one by detangling and once we were done, I was amazed at the results we had gotten for the past 4years since we started taking care of her hair.
See pics below:
Suffice to say, we spent 2hours ogling and taking pictures of this huge Afro.
She’s excited about her length now and wants to wear it out. Prepoo was done with Aubrey Organics GBP for an hour. Nowadays, it’s important her hair is braided in 10sections to make it easier to wash. Applied green tea rinse, allowed it to dry and applied Silk Dreams Shea What to each section; covered her hair with a shower cap and left it on for 2hours before rinsing out. Wrapped her hair with a cotton towel for 20minutes before sealing in sections with Giovanni Weightless Leave in & Trader Joe’s Jojoba oil.
She’s at mid-length now and the thickness and length is simply amazing.